Sunday, July 15, 2012

A New Beginning


Hello, I have decided to start a blog on a new journey I am setting forth upon searching for healthy living. I simply thought this would help me keep track of my progress and stay focused and encouraged to press on. I know the road I am setting out upon will be very difficult at times... but my prayer is that the results will be more than worth it in the end. 

You see, my health has been going from bad to worse over the last few years. At first I was simply sick a lot, with no idea what was wrong (scary time in my life). The next phase was being diagnosed with Lupus in September of 2010. At first I was relieved, it was so nice to know what was "wrong" with me finally. However, this simply marks the beginning of a roller coaster ride of trying to figure out how to make me feel better. Some things worked for awhile, but nothing lasted long. I finally gave in to using one medication after the other trying to find some normalcy for me. Until now I find myself on tons of meds, in lots of pain, and my bad days far outnumber the good ones. 

IT WAS TIME FOR A CHANGE!

My amazing family has been an awesome support to me through the struggles I have been facing, going way beyond the call of duty. We saw a video called "Sick, Fat, and Nearly Dead" A man's journey to getting healthy. Now being overweight was NOT my problem, but having an autoimmune disease, and the meds I am on were a similarity I shared with this man. So, my whole family decided to do something drastic hoping for a change. So together we proceeded to juice for 9 days ending this weekend.   

While we were juicing we started researching and found a diet that is supposed to help with Lupus. It has changed 100s of lives making it possible for many to lead great lives without the constant pain, and worry that is normally involved with living with Lupus. So, we have decided that since we had already "detoxed" by juicing we would go straight into this. So for now we are simply eating  Fruits and veggies, some beans, and some nuts. NO SALT, NO DAIRY,NO FLOURS, NO SUGARS, and NO MEAT! We are hoping for great results, but we know it will probably take a while to see them. So for now we simply decided that it can't hurt, and it just might help, and we are therefore willing to give it a go! 

Where I am at now: 
Mid-high pain levels on most days
low low energy
unable to walk around for more than 10minutes
Unable to be outside during the day

Medications I am currently on:
20mg prednisone per day
15mg meloxicam per day
400mg plaquenil per day
25mg Methotrexate per week
50 mg Tramadol as needed (usually a few times a week)
8 mg Zophran as needed (at least once a week)

Goal:
I Would like to see the good days outnumber the bad
Be able to play outside with my nephews and nieces without falling apart physically
Walk three miles

Bring the Prednisone down to 5 mg per day
Go off meloxicam
Go off Methotrexate
Go off Tramadol
Go off Zophran

I know, I know... one tall order... but if you are gonna reach, why not reach for the stars? RIGHT?! :-) 

So hopefully from time to time I'll post how things are going, how I am feeling as we go along. Maybe blog some challenges, or successes, pictures of what a "Meal" looks like for us now. :-) This way I can keep track of how things are going and hopefully be able to look back in AMAZEMENT at how FAR I'VE COME! :-) 

Philippians 4:11-13  Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ[b] who strengthens me.

9 comments:

  1. dear kristina...i did know your health was not the best, but i must say i had not idea it was to this kind of a low...and i am so grateful you blogged about it. you are dear and post such uplifted comments and pictures on fb. but, since i don't ever see you anymore or those who do, i had no idea. i will be praying for you as you continue to "reach for the stars" and follow your Good Shepherd as He faithfully (although sometimes slowly) shows the way. i will be checking back here...and most of all, i will be praying for you in greater ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deana, yes life has indeed been different. Please don't feel bad about not knowing... Most people don't as I haven't really shared or talked about it on Facebook. Thank you for your encouragement. God knows best and is in control so I really try to simply rely on Him and take things one day at a time.

      Delete
  2. My mom had asked me after my last trip if you were trying anything natural for the lupus instead of taking all those meds. So glad to see you have decided to take that route. Praying for you. Do you have a way for me to follow this blog? I didn't see one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cilia, I actually tried a LOT of natural things BEFORE going on the meds and really only went on the meds because I felt like it was a last resort and I was feeling a bit hopeless because nothing had helped. So yes, I'm really hoping this works out. :-) I added a followers button... I don't know if that's what you need to follow the blog or not...

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kristina,
    I'm so thankful to hear this update, though very sorry for the current state of your health. I know that the Lord has called you to this very difficult walk with Him and that you, more than most, are reminded daily of the hope of a New Heaven and New Earth where we as God's redeemed experience no more pain, sorrow, or suffering. May the Lord give you strength and patience to endure the path He's chosen for you and you hope in Him and seek relief. Love to you! -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, Thank you so much. God has indeed been my constant companion... I would NOT have made it this far without Him. Even when things look their worst God has never forsaken me, but has been right there beside me every step of the way.Without Him, I am nothing.

      Delete