Saturday, August 18, 2012

Great Changes!

Okay, it's been a while again and more than time for an update. Lots of things have been going on... So you remember last time I wasn't doing well at all. We contacted Dr. Fuhrman and asked for suggestions on what might be my problem and if there was anything we could try differently. 

He decided that the Probiotic He put me on we might want to stop taking, because it has cornstarch in it. Corn can be a major problem for Lupus patients which is why I haven't been eating any corn. He also thought that I should lay off of fruit and eat more Oatmeal, black wild rice, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, and berries for something sweet. In addition to all the salads I'm eating of course. 

Needless to say I was very disheartened by that list. I didn't like Oatmeal even when I dumped brown sugar and butter in it. ;-) Actually the only thing on that list I like and eat usually is the berries. :-) 

I was feeling so awful again though. So we decided to do what he said and alter my menu choices to include ALL of his suggestions. My family was great at helping come up with good ways of fixing the different things so that I could manage to eat it. Everything has actually been very good. 

I haven't thought to take any pictures of breakfast, but Victoria has done a great job of being creative with her oatmeal making it has been different every day, and some days are way better than others. This mornings was Actually VERY VERY good. She made oat and berry bars. They were SO GOOD! Take my word for it. She has also been fixing me berry, flax seed, and almond butter smoothies in the morning I think she might be putting Kale in them too... She has worked really hard to make breakfast edible knowing my great dislike for oatmeal. I appreciate her thoughtfulness and her willingness to take on so much effort to make something I would like. 


 My sister Lindsay came over this week and she decided we should grill our veggies, so we gave it a try. You are looking at Zucchini, yellow squash, onions, and peppers. 


 Shelby grilled them to perfection. 
 Mom was a genius and pureed the mushrooms and cooked them in the rice. You can't see them, or taste them... PERFECT just the way I LIKE them! I liked the meal so much we made it two days in a row. It felt like a "real" meal. 

 Another good meal we had was this Summer Harvest Caponata. It's cooked in the oven which gave everything a very different taste. This we ate of Quinoa which is a slightly odd texture, but I like it. 

And YES! Of course there are BERRIES! 

So how am I doing now? OH MY GOODNESS! I feel GREAT today! I had a long hard day, I did take a nap... but I feel really good! Oh! and I feel HUNGRY again!!! Which is a VERY good thing as it is so hard to MAKE yourself eat... trust me. I have lost close to 20lbs and I'm hoping to either not lose anymore or to gain some of it back again now that my appetite is back. 

So thank you for your prayers. God has indeed been very good strengthening me throughout all of this. I loved this verse this week. I have had many chances to use it and draw strength in it. 

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

New King James Version (NKJV)
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment